Early Summer 2011

Early Summer 2011
Early Summer 2011

Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 1 Harvest

Meghan was checking out the carrots as I worked on weeding the flower bed, and discovered a few were full grown. Matthew then proceeded to pull up each and every carrot, totaling in a harvest of 7 full grown carrots, and 5 partially grown. Surprisingly, Matthew didn't harvest any of the surrounding beets or onions...proving that my son who is unable to drink water without spilling it can successfully maneuver an overcrowded garden of full grown carrots, beets and onions without any sacrifices. Go figure.

I was able to pick the "fruit of my labor" and harvested my first yellow squash, along with a spring onion that's looking suspiciously like a sweet onion you'd buy in the grocery store--something or someone helpfully knocked it out of its hole for me overnight.....that or it just got so gigantic that it fell over from its own weight.....that's what counts as a "fish tale" in farming.

Speaking of fish tails, I don't have much trouble from rabbits, my total casualty list consists of one head of romaine lettuce this year. Truthfully, I'd bet money that had more to do with Matthew (my two year old) than with rabbits, although we do have plenty of chipmunks. We have a champion mouser named Bob who has the run of the place, and he's doing a pretty good job of hunting down our chipmunk population--the babies that is. I've read that the Native Americans used to plant a fish in each corn hill to increase the nitrogen or something....wonder if I could teach Bob to bury his kills in my garden for me? That would be a LOT better than another dead baby chipmunk left on the sidewalk for all to admire.

We also have a barred owl who hunts in our backyard--at least I hope it's hunting in our backyard what with all the noise it makes. There are two red-tailed hawks that roost on the steeple of the church behind my house as well. Between the raptors and the cat, like I said, we don't have much trouble from rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memorial Day Harvest

Memorial Day Harvest
5 grocery bags of lettuce, 5 bellies full of beets, and 5 months of spring onions