Early Summer 2011

Early Summer 2011
Early Summer 2011

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Harvests

Last week, the forecast called for insanely high temperatures, unusual for this time of year. I'd been putting off harvesting my ridiculous amount of lettuce http://back-yard-farmer.blogspot.com/p/2011-garden-plans.html resulting from my overzealous planning back in February, when all this food was just a dream......however, I knew that the high temperatures would cause my lettuce to bolt, resulting in a bitter taste, and wasted effort. So, instead of packing for our camping trip, I spent two days harvesting lettuce, rinsing lettuce, bagging up lettuce, and finding spots in my refrigerator and in my friends' refrigerators for all this lettuce. I gave lettuce to my kid's teachers, to the occupational therapist, to the OT's receptionist, to some unsuspecting neighbors.....all with the promise to bring more produce if they returned the bags. ;) My family had vegetable dinner that night--roasted baby beets, roasted spring onions, baked potatoes with spring onions and a great big salad. We all feasted, and fell in love with our backyard farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memorial Day Harvest

Memorial Day Harvest
5 grocery bags of lettuce, 5 bellies full of beets, and 5 months of spring onions